Wednesday, February 4, 2009

MOM.... How Old Is Too Old?

I need to start out by giving you some history. When Jenna was born, Jared's nose was a little bit bent out of shape. He was 4 years old at the time and didn't want that new baby sister taking his place. He was very clingy to me and one day... He said.. "Mommy? How old is too old to sit on your lap? Is 5 too old?" So, of course, I scooped him up and put him on my lap and gave him the biggest hug he's ever had. I told him he would never be too old to do that. He asked the same question at 8, and then at 10, with the same reaction from me, but I haven't heard anything like that since. Well, a few weeks before he was going to leave on his mission, I was sitting in the living room trying to unwind with some peace and quiet. He came in and asked me what was wrong. I told him nothing, and he got this huge smile on his face. He said... "Mom... how old is too old to sit on your lap? Is 19 too old?" Well, you know that the tears streamed down my face as this HUGE young man sat down on my lap and let his mommy hug him and remember him being so little. Jenna, being such the smart gal that she is, grabbed my camera and took these pictures so that we will have this for all posterity. I'm not sure that my Jared would want everyone to see these photos, but this tells what kind of young man I've been privileged to raise and call my son. I love you so much Jared.


6 comments:

Jaime said...

What a sweetheart! I hope Grant is never to old to do that! Love ya much! :)lya

Stephanie said...

sure way to make me tear up!

Cherri said...

Colleen, any time I hear you talk about your family, and as I read this today, I can honestly tell you that it had me in tears. Not just a few, but all out crying. You have been so blessed with such an amazing family. And that, tells me that he thinks so too.

My heart is swelling because that was awesome.

Cherri said...

By the wawy, I meant that in a good way. I hope you know that :) Hugs. I miss you!

Deb-t said...

ABSOLUTELY PRICELESS!

Becky said...

That just made me cry, and I mean cry. I hope my kid-o turns out to be half as sweet.

Music