Monday, February 2, 2009

MTC ! The Big Day ! January 28th

Jared Getting Ready with All of His Suitcases !
Jared and Jenna right before we left for the MTC!
Here is Jared pulling his 'train' of luggage as they called it to his spot. There were 311 other missionaries that day, so imagine 3 suitcases each x 311 missionaries! That's a whole lot of luggage ! And of course, most of them black ! Gary put tape around the handles so that he would recognize which ones were his.

So when you go to the MTC, the missionaries go thru one door and the families and friends go thru another door. This is him right before he entered inside the building. Can't tell that he is happy or anything, huh?

When they first walked into the MTC, this cute little sister gave them their 'lifeline' as she put it along with their tag. The card was to use for laundry and other expenses at the MTC. It even works on the candy machine ! I think I need one of those !

When he got his tag, he came straight to me and asked me to put it on him. I totally lost it at that point. I started shaking and my whole body kind of went into convulsions. I couldn't calm myself down. He just hugged me and said, "Mom, it will be fine. I love you. Put on my tag." I did just as he asked... well, except for the calming down part ! ( The little orange dot is on there so that they can identify themselves as newbies and if lost, and I quote.... "The other missionaries can tell them where to go ! ")

So this was our last photo taken before we had to shut off our camera. Inside is dedicated like a chapel and there are not any photos allowed. A kind sister who was waiting for her grandson took this shot. Notice the red eyes and swollen faces of Mom and Dad, but the missionary is fine !
So, I guess, now comes the 'endure to the end' part of this journey. I will keep this site updated more often. Sorry, but it's taken me this long to be able to actually look at these photos without crying my eyes out. Thanks so much for all of the support that you've been to me. I so appreciate all of the kind words and hugs and prayers on our behalf. I've been counting down by fast Sundays, and since we just had one yesterday... I only have 23 more to go ! YIPEE !!!! Now... where are those darned Kleenex !







5 comments:

Ashlee said...

Cute pics... so sad! I'm doing better.. Still waiting cause my mom is doing it first so I'll let you know! March 20th i put it down.. I dont know how I'll get makella watched but I'll try and figure something out :)

Deb-t said...

Colleen...I think it is so cute that you count fast Sundays!
Those are some really great pictures of Jared and your family. I'm so glad you've already gotten a letter from him. He will be a faithful writer, I'm sure.

Tymabme said...

To The Walch Family

Jared will be a wonderful missionary, all of you will be so proud of him. He will be home before you know it. Colleen just 2 Christmas’s and he will be home.

Becky said...

Bless your heart. Seriously.

lisa said...

would you stop! I'm crying now. It will be my turn all too soon (I hope). The post about Jared when he was 5 climbing up on your lap...then Nathan yelling from his bed..."mom would you come turn off my light. I love you, mom." tears started flowing. I miss you, remember we have class next Tuesday, can't wait to see you.

Music